Archive

Posts Tagged ‘AT8RC’

Haumea

October 10, 2015 Leave a comment

I took these images back in June, but have been too busy working on the new book to post anything.  I have literally hundreds of hours of exposures waiting to be processed right now.

This is Haumea.  It’s not a pretty image, but I still think it’s cool that you can image Kuiper Belt objects from your backyard.  In fact, the collimation on my scope was WAY out of line (long story) when these were taken, and I was still able to capture Haumea with 8 minutes of exposure time on two nights (6/6 and 6/9).  This was also first light for my SBIG STL-1301E.

Haumea’s angular motion is only about 2.5 arcseconds over three nights.  I compared the images with Wolfram Alpha’s predictions for where Haumea would be, and they agree within a few arcseconds.  The differences are probably more due to my measurement error using Aladin than calculation errors:

  • June 6th:  predicted RA: 13h 58′ 46″, measured RA: 13h 58′ 41″
    • predicted Dec: +18d 02′ 17″, measured +18d 02′ 32″
  • June 9th:  predicted RA: 13h 58′ 38″, measured RA: 13h 58′ 32″
    • predicted Dec: +18d 01′ 38″, measured +18d 01′ 56″
Haumea June 6-9, 2015

Haumea June 6-9, 2015

  • Exposures: 8×1 and 10×1 minutes
  • Telescopes: AstroTech AT8RC (1600mm f/8)
  • Cameras: SBIG STL-1301E, 2×2 binned
  • Mount: Takahashi EM-200
  • Guiding: Orion Starshoot through 50mm finder, guided using PHD2
  • Processing: DeepSkyStacker -> Photoshop
  • Dates: Jun 6 2015 and Jun 9 2015

The Moon: Narrowband as a Neutral Density Filter

June 8, 2014 Leave a comment

Sometimes the moon just has you beat. With no significant narrowband targets in the sky and the moon well past a quarter, I figured I’d take its portrait before calling it a night. As with my previous image of the moon in conjunction with Venus, narrowband filters make great neutral density filters to dim the moon to level that doesn’t overwhelm the sensor.

This is a single 0.1 second exposure of the moon through an OIII filter using the AT8RC and an SBIG ST-8300M binned 1×1.
moon_o3

M63, The Sunflower Galaxy

July 3, 2011 Leave a comment

While this is only 5h 8m of total exposure time, I was able to get a decent amount of detail out of it.  When it clears up again, I’ll get some more time on it to reduce the noise level, but this is a nice start.  The exposures were taken on two nights a month apart:  Jun 2 and Jul 2.  It’s a total of 77 4-minute shots through an Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM using a Canon Rebel XSi. The nights are short and hot this time of year, which makes it difficult on astroimaging!

M63, The Sunflower Galaxy

M63, The Sunflower Galaxy

%d bloggers like this: